What Is A Stomach Doctor Called?
How your gastroenterologists in New York, New York, can help you
Stomach doctors, or gastroenterologists, are specialists who treat complex problems with your digestive system, including your stomach. There are many medical conditions and diseases which can affect your digestive system, and your stomach doctor uses state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment tools to help you regain your health. Your gastroenterologists at The Endoscopy Center of New York in New York, New York, want to share with you how your stomach doctor can help you.
Some of the diagnostic tools used at The Endoscopy Center of New York to find and treat common conditions and diseases include:
- An upper endoscopy or EGD, which is used for:
- Diagnosing bleeding in your gastrointestinal system
- Diagnosing celiac or peptic ulcer disease
- Diagnosing gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD
- Dilating your esophagus
A colonoscopy, which is used for:
- Diagnosing ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- Evaluating constipation or diarrhea
- Evaluating gastrointestinal bleeding and anemia
- Detecting and removing polyps in your colon
One of the most important functions of a colonoscopy is to screen for colon cancer, which can reduce your risk of colon cancer by as much as 90 percent. Colon cancer is one of the main causes of cancer-related deaths in the United States. You should have a colon cancer screening if you are over 50, or if you have a family history of colon cancer.
Your stomach doctor may also use flexible sigmoidoscopy to examine your lower colon and the lining of your rectum, for signs of colorectal cancer.
There are some common signs and symptoms which may indicate you need to see your gastroenterologist. You need to schedule an appointment as soon as possible if you have:
- Abdominal cramping and pain that doesn’t resolve
- Weakness, fatigue and rapid weight loss
- Chronic constipation, diarrhea or change in your stool consistency
- Dark, tarry stools, which may indicate blood in your stool
Visiting a specialist like a stomach doctor can give you the advantage you need to prevent or treat digestive problems or diseases. To learn more about services available, call your gastroenterologists at The Endoscopy Center of New York in New York, New York, today!
Hide Section - NotesNotes
Interested in visiting a Stomach Doctor from Endoscopy Center of New York?
Call our New York, NY office at (212) 897-1006 to learn more!